If your primary goal is the Maryland Wear & Carry (W&C) Permit and a Maryland Handgun Qualification License (HQL), then do the W&C Permit 1st!! This will save you $105!!
Steps for Maryland Wear & Carry
- This class – DONE
- Here is the main MSP W&C Permitting page
- Get fingerprinted and background checked for W&C. KEEP THE RECEIPT!! You’ll need the PCN number that is on it & they want a PDF copy of the receipt.
- I recommend Absolute Investigative Services: (Cost: $55 – no affiliation w/ SAFE Firearms Training, just good customer service)
- Maryland official list of locations
- Complete the online application: (Cost: $75)
- You’ll “Create My Account”
- You’ll need a passport photo – follow instructions or scan passport photo
- You’ll need a copy of your qualification test – this was completed and signed in class and emailed as a PDF or a paper copy given to you.
- You’ll need to explain your “Good & Substantial Reason to Carry a Firearm”. Please contact Don if you’d like help writing yours.
- You’ll need copies of any supporting documentation that supports your G&S reason.
- Once approved, a card will be mailed to you. It is good for 2 years. Within those 2 years, you’ll need to complete 8 more hours of training. The renewal application must be completed at least 90 days before the expiration date. W&C training is valid for 2 years, so you could take your ‘refresher’ at any time after getting your card in-hand and your expiration. Fingerprints are NOT required for renewal. Your renewed card is good for 3 years and costs $50.
Now that you have your Maryland Wear & Carry card in-hand, apply for your Maryland Handgun Qualification License.
- Here is the main MSP HQL page
- To apply, you’ll go to this website and create a different account than your Wear & Carry account.
- Log in and click on “Initial Application”
- Program: Firearms Services
- License Type: HQL Permit Exempt
- Application Method: Application
- Click on “Start Application”
- At the bottom of the page, you’ll enter your Wear & Carry permit information.
- By doing it this way, your fingerprints, background checks and training are all ‘exempt’ because you already completed these in the Wear & Carry Permitting process.
- This saves you $105 – $50 from the HQL permit and $55 from Absolute ISI.
- This HQL permit is good for 10 years – now you can go buy a gun!!
Now you want to buy a gun!
Give me a call, email or text – I’m happy to advise
Don Miller II
Call my Federal Firearms Licensed dealer.
1826 Snydersburg Rd, Westminster, MD
Don will walk you through the gun buying process. It’s tedious and takes at least 2 weeks, but Don is great to work with and will get you a great price.
If you’d like to get a Utah Non-Resident Concealed Handgun License, you can do this immediately after class. You do NOT need to wait on Maryland.
In class, we completed a Utah application. If you’ve misplaced it, you’ll have to get a hold of me b/c I have to stamp and sign it.
Follow the instructions carefully, but here are some tips.
You’ll need these items:
Copy of MD or PA driver’s license
Fingerprint card – completed in class
Photograph – completed in class
Application w/ stamp – completed in class
Maryland residents DO NOT need “non-resident proof of permit” as MD does not have UT reciprocity. If you are a PA resident, then you must have a PA permit and send a copy.
Cost is $63.25 for a 5 year permit.
Renewals are completed online
You can also apply for non-resident concealed carry permits in the following states. To provide the most up-to-date information, the links below are to the USCCA page which includes the process. The only thing you’ll need from SAFE Firearms Training, LLC is a certificate showing completing of training. This was handed out at the end of class in 2 forms. NRA Basic Pistol Certificate and USCCA Concealed Carry Firearms Training Proof of Training Certificate.
Pennsylvania – requires you to possess a Maryland Wear & Carry permit
Texas – requires you to attend class and apply while in Texas
Washington DC – requires a 16-hour training class similar to Maryland’s but by a DC certified trainer
Maryland USCCA link for reference
If you are looking to join the NRA, USCCA or purchase a Mantis X plus any other affiliate programs SAFE Firearms Training, LLC is able to put into place for you, follow this link: https://www.safe-firearms-training.com/affiliates
If you’d like to get additional training from SAFE Firearms Training, LLC, please check out our personal lessons here: https://www.safe-firearms-training.com/private-lessons
Information about the following programs are here:
USPSA – United States Practical Shooting Association
IDPA – International Defensive Pistol Association
Steel Challenge Shooting Association
York Izaak Walton League – Chapter #67
Seitzland Rifle Club
If you’d like to follow SAFE Firearms Training, LLC on all our platforms, here are ALL the links: